Thursday, September 17, 2009

PRESS RELEASE - My favourite news snippets from today's Daily Telegraph

I love newspapers - they're good for all sorts of purposes. Gauging what's going on in the global environment, hearing what inspirational messages Barak Obama has recently asserted, movie reviews, salacious celebrity gossip, a daily brain-teasing Sudoku and after you're read through everything and completed all the crosswords, you can even use it to wrap up your leftovers. What more bang for your buck can you get out of $1.20?
For me, however, it cost $11.50, as I read it in the coffee shop while I worked my way through a ginger biscuit and two cups of coffee. But, I did learn a few things about today's news which I thought were particularly worth mentioning in today's KH Chronicles.


Katie Holmes + Suri Cruise + Beyonce = earmuffs
Nothing makes me laugh more than celebrities doing outlandish things and this one had me snorting on my flat white. Attending Beyonce's I Am... tour in Melbourne, Katie Holmes and everyone's favourite pint-sized celebrity daughter, Suri, decided against their own private box and instead, opted to slum it with the plebs in their own roped-off area of the general admission (that iniated my first snort). However, during Beyonce's opening song, Crazy In Love, it seems Suri couldn't quite cope with the intensity of the sound system or the flashing lights and hid in mum's shoulder with her hands over her ears. So what does one do at a multi-million-dollar pop concert when their three-year-old (multi-million-dollar) daughter isn't enjoying herself? Industrial earmuffs - here in lay my second snort.
She's three years old! Is it not bleedingly obvious that a three-year-old and a pop concert don't go together like gin and tonic? But there seems there's nothing a spot of celebrity status can't get you, even when you don't know how to ask for it yourself.
G Wiz, Rob Mills
Boob tubes, white pants, halter tops, clingy dresses - when it leaves little to the imagination, it will require certain underwear. Here I was thinking this was an issue only women had to deal with, but apparently, not the case! Ladies (and gents) feast your eyes on Exhibit A:


















Get a load of those pants! Amazing! Not a VPL in site! (that's a visible penis line for those not up on the lingo). And it's all thanks to Rob's "dance support" or more blatantly, G-string. While it makes me so happy to hear about boys having to endure underwear discomforts for the greater good of fashion, sheesh Rob, those pants really don't leave much, if anything, to the imagination...which only makes me wonder...

Brotherhood in the Battlefield
All jokes and celebrity-sarcasm aside, reading the story about Barry Delainey who wore a dress to his best friend Kevin Elliott's funeral after he died in Afghanistan, had me welling tears. Amongst the stiff, starched uniforms and black clothes of mourning was Barry in his bright lemon dress, worn after the pair swore an oath that whoever died first, the other would wear a dress to his funeral.
It may sound like a boyish prank decided about over beers and a cheap steak, but seeing Barry come true on the promise he made to his best friend, really moved me. As inappropriate as it might seem on the surface, if I had made a similar oath, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than holding true to my word in the face of my best friend's tragedy. I give Mr. Delainey full snaps for his heartfelt gesture.


(Image Credits: Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise - Splash News / Rob Mills - Jeff Busby, The Daily Telegraph / Barry Delainey - Reuters, The Daily Telegraph)

1 comment:

  1. I actually got tears in my eyes reading that last story! That is so moving.

    ReplyDelete