Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You can grow the mo, but can you raise the dough?

November is coming up which is exciting because that means my birthday is a few weeks away and that means I get to be spoilt and claim the limelight for 24 hours (plus the birthday sub-clause of additional birthday limelight three days prior and three days after actual birthday, which is general birthday celebration etiquette.)

And with November comes other things - the last month of Spring, the Melbourne Cup and Movember.

Ah, Movember. An annual tradition that must be endured for the good cause that is furthering research for prostate cancer.

I have a small issue with Movember, although nothing to do with the actual meaning behind it. It's not that even that I dislike facial hair. I appreciate a good after-5 shadow, a handlebar moustache makes my loins tingle and there's something about a man with a full wirey beard that makes me feel naughty. I swear, it has something to do with Ned Kelly, who in my bushranger dreams is a bad boy and therefore, a debaucherous lover.

Anyhoo...

My issue with Movember is men sporting beards, whether they be side burns, Mexican mo's or a Chopper Reid-styled 'stash simply for the sake of Movember. Not because they are registered with the Movember organisation and actively raising funds for prostate cancer research.

It's walking the walk, but not talking the talk. Growing the mo, but not raising the dough. I understand and appreciate the activity of creating awareness, but it bothers me when people say they're 'doing Movember' and all that involves is not shaving their lip hair for a few weeks.


I want to see true dedication. I want your donation tin rattled under my nose. I want to invest in your facial fuzz and feel like I too, am supporting something important. Because when you're officially doing it for the cause, other people get to enjoy your mo too, not just you.
So gents (and ladies, I guess. I mean, you never know what kind of imbalanced hormones some people have. I don't want to exclude those with their fair share of testosterone), please go and register! Do it for your mo. It'll help it grow. And you can be a bearded beauty knowing that your 'stash is raising some cash. 

KH.

No comments:

Post a Comment