Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Media has two faces

The more I work in the media industry, the more I discover you don't get something for nothing.
Everything is tainted by advertising, marketing, promotions, sales, revenue, money. Everything has an alterior motive and an alterior purpose. Everything exists as simply another way to sell to the masses. What you're channelling isn't honest. It's fantastical, masked as reality. It's an opportunity to play on emotions. A purpose to sell wants, needs, lifestyles, romances. A vehicle for revenue.

This isn't some kind of sudden revelation I've come across. It's something you come to accept when you work in magazines. But sometimes, I wish what I was pouring my heart and soul into didn't result in this glossy, material artifact. I wish what I was producing was something pure, something without motive and purpose, something that is what it is without reason. But that can not exist in a world which relies on money to make it spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment